Old September 7th 04, 10:20 PM
Bill

"George Walker" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me about the Albemarle light bomber?

--
G Walker

Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle. WW2 bomber and glider tug. The first British
military aircraft to be fitted with a tricycle undercarriage. Made almost
exclusively of wood and steel because of wartime shortages of aluminium.
Parts manufacture very widely distrubuted - many made by furniture makers,
shopfitters etc with little or no previous aircraft manufacturing
experience. Used as light bomber, and later as a glider tug. Dimensions:
span 77ft; length 59ft 11in. Max speed 250mph; normal range 1350 miles. Poer
plant: 2 x Bristol Hercules XI engines. No pic I'm afraid, but from what I
recall, the Albemarle looked a little like the Bristol Blenheim.

Bill