Old September 24th 03, 04:14 PM
Michael

David Megginson wrote
Not at all -- I've just been surprised at how many U.S. pilots don't
seem to know about altimeter temperature errors. On mailing lists,
I've actually had violent reactions from otherwise experienced and
competent pilots when I casually mentioned that pressure altimeters
are routinely off by hundreds of feet at cruise altitude.

Yep. They forgot it, since it wasn't really relevant. As for the
violent reaction, it's not a pilot thing but a people thing. There
are people who are often wrong but never uncertain. It's kind of sad
when an experienced pilot gets that way, but it's really terrible when
an old experienced instructor falls into that mode, since at that
point he's largely worthless.

But think for a second - why do you suppose MEA's and OROCA's provide
1000 ft of obstacle clearace normally, but 2000 in designated
mountainlous areas? If you're IFR, you're not going to be clearing
that peak by less than 2000 ft, and that is going to keep you out of
the rocks in even the worst case scenario. If you're VFR, then you
can see the peak and don't really need the altimeter anyway.

Let's not forget that the worst case temperature error at 200 ft and
-50C is only 60 ft, while altimeters can be up to 75 ft off in some
cases and still be legal for IFR use.

What if the errors compounded? I agree that it's unlikely (and would
require a very cold day), but using your numbers someone with a 75 ft
altimeter error and a 60 ft temperature error could end up at only 65
ft AGL when the altimeter read 200 ft AGL.

Which is still not the end of the world. In a light airplane, you can
easily go missed from 65 AGL (or land, if you break out). Anything
heavy and fast enought that this isn't true is probably going to have
a RADAR altimeter and Cat II certification anyway.

Michael