Old April 6th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
VOR-DME

Default KPAE ILS...Now Requires DME...Why?

In article ,
says...

I'm guessing they are requiring the DME reception because of the
missed approach. Tracking outbound on 338 PAE they want you to use
13.9 DME to identify WEBVE INT. How far away is the Penn Cove VORTAC?

It's 18.3 miles from WEBVE, and the divergence angle of 70 degrees with the
localizer puts iy well within the fix displacement limits of an
intersection. Note that WEBVE is identified as INT on the plate.

Yeah - I didn't see the (18.3) at first glance. I have to agree that's well
within tolerance for identifying the int. I was thinking it was perhaps twice
that far. I also agree that the naming convention would indicate that the DME
is only required for the LOC approach, so your interpretation makes sense even
if intuitively one doesn't expect to need DME to identify a FAF when there's a
marker.