Old March 12th 04, 11:25 AM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , ArtKramr
writes
Subject: hi alt oxygen
From: Dave Eadsforth
Date: 3/11/04 3:51 PM Pacific Standard Time

Just out of interest, Art, did you ever have to use the A-7 mask (and
presumably a throat mike?) or was the A-14 in universal use while you
were operational?

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth

In training at Cadet school we used a mask that had a rubber bag hannging down.

I guess that that might have been an A-7 or an A-8 - I'm no expert, I
just looked up a few things on the net once this thread started.

We called it a spit bag. Every few minutes you had to pull the plug from the
bottom of the bag and drain out the saliva.

Yuk!

In cold weather it froze and
couldn't be drained.

Now I wonder if a swig of whisky could have solved that?

Once we graduated and went to transitional we were used
low pressure demand masks. More comfortable.

That sounds like the A-14 demand mask

Besides those early high pressure
systems were given to blowing up if even a minute amount of grease came in
contactwith the oxygen.

Charming - and an opportunity for an act of malice...

It was a 1,000 lb/sq/ inch sytem., The later demand
masks worked on a low pressure system and were much safer as well as more
comfortable.

From the photos I have seen it covered almost the whole of the lower
face, which instinctively looks more comfortable than some other types.
I have used the RAF Type H, which edges into the cheeks somewhat, and
when you take it off you look like Homer Simpson.

Sorry.I don't remember the designations.

I only discovered them recently...

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at: