Old April 16th 05, 09:15 PM
Dave in San Diego

Allen wrote in
:

In article HTc8e.24133$hB6.9873@trnddc06,
"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote:

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a
master jet base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS
Whidbey Island is a premier jet base. Any leads would be great.
Google wasn't very helpful. -Moe

My understanding it's a facilities issues and at a minimum, parallel
runways and fuel pits must be part of it. That works at the three I
can think of off the top of my head, Cecil (gone of course) Oceana and
now MCAS Miramar. NUW with it's single runways and truck pits (at
least whe I left in 95) just set up for FCLP's doesn't.

Lemoore was also a Master Jet Base at one time, and may still be. It
certainly fits into the above criteria. AFAIK, that was an official
designation by the Navy, and not just "compliments of a very
imaginative public affairs officer". IIRC, there was a big article in one
of the glossy rags (All Hands? Approach?) when the first one was
designated back in the 60s but don't recall the details. I think NAS Jax
is designated as a Master ASW Base, too.

Dave in San Diego