Old April 16th 05, 09:58 PM
Allen

In article ,
Dave in San Diego wrote:

Allen wrote in
:

In article HTc8e.24133$hB6.9873@trnddc06,
"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote:

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a
master jet base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS
Whidbey Island is a premier jet base. Any leads would be great.
Google wasn't very helpful. -Moe

With my curiosity now piqued I did some searching and found this out of
a Navy Fire Safety Article. at the link

http://www.cni.navy.mil/newsletters/Fire_Mar_05.pdf.

What is a Master Jet Base?
One of the earliest conversations in the old NAVFAC F&ES Program Office
centered on the Master Jet Base designation. We¹d seen signs and
prominent internet banners proclaiming Naval Air Station So & So as a
MASTER JET BASE, but is that an official designation and what exactly
constitutes such a designation? A careful look at NATOPS came up
empty, as did a direct inquiry to NAVAIR. So is this an urban legend
or what? District Fire Chief Steve Vogt of Navy Region Mid
Atlantic provided us with what we assume is a definitive answer: I
have talked with retired Chief Warrant Officer Joseph Salt (also retired
Assistant Fire Chief NAS Oceana) about the MASTER JET BASE designation.
It is a term to signify the consolidation of assets given to select air
base sites based on the assignment of like aircraft from multiple
locations to a single base to support the Fleet mission. Service,
support, and supply facilities also had to be consolidated at these
Master Jet Bases. Pilot Qualification Training and Fleet Pilot Combat
Training for assigned aircraft must also be provided, as well as
training facilities and schools to provide the fleet with support
personnel (LSO, flight simulators, etc.). Basically; House, Repair,
Equip, Train, and Deploy Combat Ready Aircraft to be the Tip of the
Nations Sword! Original Master Jet Base Designation was given to; East
Coast: NAS Oceana and NAS Cecil Field West Coast: NAS Lemoore and
NAS Miramar Since NAS Miramar was transferred to the Marine Corps and
NAS Cecil Field was closed, the only remaining MASTER JET BASES are NAS
Lemoore and NAS Oceana.

While that's interesting I also found a reference in the history of NAS
Brunswick at the site http://www.nasb.navy.mil/nasb_history.htm

On March 15, 1951, the national ensign was again hoisted to the peak of
the flag pole, recommissioning the dormant-base as a Naval Air Facility
with the established mission of supporting three land-plane patrol
squadrons and one Fleet Aircraft Service Squadron, and a planned future
mission as a master jet base.

The Navy, in December of 1950, requested $35,000,000 from Congress to be
used for this master jet project. Such a base required dual 8,000 foot
runways and two outlying fields, one for gunnery and one for carrier
practice landings. In June of 1951, the Secretary of Defense submitted a
request to Congress for approximately $20,000,000 for the station. This
money was to be used for additional barracks, officers' quarters, and
enlisted mens' club, control tower, storage, and communication
buildings, new galleys and mess facility, to make it a permanent
installation.

While Brunswick never become a master jet base it still remains a fine
place to get a Prowler cheek panel full of lobsters

Pugs