Old December 25th 03, 03:15 PM
Bob McKellar

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

Bob McKellar wrote:

From: http://www.coastcomp.com/av/pres/prest.htm

Convair XF2/YF2 Sea Dart

XF2 137634 Garber Facility - Smithsonian
(Prototype)
YF2Y-1 135763 95 San Diego Aerospace Museum(CA)
YF2Y-1 135764 JUL94 Willow Grove (PA) NAS
YF2Y-1 135765 APR97 LAKELAND (FL) Sun and Fun MUSEUM

Thanks for the info. But it brings two questions to mind.

Does anyone know the present status of that XF2? [The page shows last
edit in May of 2003.] If restoration is complete, could it have been
moved to the new NASM's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center located at
Washington Dulles International Airport? Last location shown on the
Smithsonian pages is G22 at the Garber Facility. [From
http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/air_space.cfm et seq]

The XF2's full designation shown on the NASM pages is XF2Y-1. I note
that its BuNo is 137634, nearly 2000 numbers beyond the YF2Y-1s. From
what I learned while serving, the Xs usually preceded the Ys in the
typical development spectrum. Whassup with the Sea Darts that they
went out of order?
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

When in doubt, check with Joe Baugher!
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f7.html

The "Preserved List" is updated sporadically and randomly, usually in the
dead of winter[1] when there is nothing much else to do.

[1] Not that "winter" around Savannah would impress a lot of you

Bob McKellar