Old August 4th 03, 04:15 AM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

This vehicle is clearly sub-orbital since it moves at only 1/3rd of
orbital
velocity.

Which brings up the issue of overflight rights. Up to what altitude is
recognized as a country's soverign air space? Seems pointless to make an
aircraft that can be based in the US so as not to rely on unreliable

"allies"
for basing rights if these same "allies" will still need to be consulted

for
overflight.

I would probably say that anything sub-orbital or orbital will be out of
soverign airspace. Nobody asks for overflight rights for the space shuttle
or sattelites. And, militarially speaking, we pretty much own space anyway.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/ne...28-space01.htm

Did we ask for overflight rights for the SR71?