Old February 26th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Q: PBY

Peter Twydell wrote:
It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
nose gear!

No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
gear.

Comparisons he
http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.

Well, I just learned something I didn't know: that all the models including the
PBY-5 were flying boats and that the first amphibian models started with the
PBY-5A model. This newsgroup can be an amazing resource, when we aren't
fighting over politics.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com