Old February 26th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Peter Twydell

Default Q: PBY

In message
,
William Hung writes
On Feb 25, 11:59*pm, John Keeney wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:56*pm, Dale wrote:

In article ,
*Peter Twydell wrote:

In message
,
Hawkeye writes
On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote:
Here is a photo on Wiki that shows how the outer wing floats
(pontoons) can swing up, so that *the pontoon becomes the wingtip.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...K_RNZAF_Catali...

That has got to be the case with your photo. A larger question is:
where's the tail wheel? *Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), William Hung

wrote:

http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircra...by-5a_ra98.JPG

OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;

1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
2. All gears down, potoons up,
3. Gears up, potoons down,
4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.

My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears

separately also? *If so, why?

Wil

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com

It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
nose gear!

No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
gear.

Comparisons he
http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.

Looks like a 5a to me, you can see the outline of the still closed
nosewheel door.- Hide quoted text -

Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
Not to mention the older style tail.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, Peter's right and like Mortimer said, this place is great for
learning about aviation.

Wil

It's nice to know one's efforts are appreciated.

I was able to put my pedant/nitpicker hat on here as a result of
converting the Airfix PBY-5A to a USN PBY-5 many years ago. Plugged the
wheel wells with balsa, smoothed over with a mixture of talc and clear
dope. Blue Gray/Light Gray camo with tail stripes and national insignia,
all hand painted.

A share in the Catalina at Duxford was available for about GBP 17k last
year. Bit beyond my budget at the moment!
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!