Old March 10th 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike

Default Emergency paperwork

"Ron Garret" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:

I declared my first ever emergency yesterday after encountering
unexpected ice. I only accumulated about 1/4 inch so it wasn't that
big a deal, but I lost my engine gauges (I fly an SR22), which
included my OAT, so I went ahead and declared so I could descend
below the MEA to shed the ice before anything else went wrong. About
a minute after declaring I broke out into VMC.

My question is: is there any FAA paperwork I need to do? I already
filed an ASRS form.

You have to notify ATC as soon as possible, I assume you did that.

It didn't even occur to me at the time that I *could* declare an
emergency without notifying ATC :-)

You can, but if you don't have your mic keyed, only your passengers are
likely to notice.