Old May 18th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
-b-

Default Whistle for your frequency?

In article ,
says...

Robert Moore wrote:

Steven, I thought that the heterodyne whistle "stopped" when tuned to
the exact frequency. Been a long time ago though.

No, the whistle was only heard when the receiver was tuned to the
transmitting frequency.

Hear the whistle? STOP! Youve found the correct frequency.

It's pretty cool in a way, because it's a head's up process, and you
don't have to be looking at a display or counting clicks. If well
implemented (and I don't know if it was), maybe you could spin quickly
past the point, hear a blip as you cross it, then work back slowly to
ahere the blip was.

BTW - try to imagine all the spurious stuff a web search using the word
"Narco" brings up today ! I doubt they would name their company that
today - although given some of the stupid names people do come up with
I sometimes wonder. Just this past week I saw "AirExces" for a corporate
shares company and "RectAir" for another.