Old April 4th 05, 04:26 PM
John R. Copeland

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message =
. net...
=20
"John R. Copeland" wrote in message=20

In the Rockies, there are ground stations at widely varying =

elevations.
I've guessed that ATC might not use settings from airports in deep =

valleys
for enroute settings, wherever more representative values are =

available.
The terminology I've heard used at specific locations is something =

like:
"XXX altimeter nn.nn, Area altimeter nn.mm."
I don't really know how the "Area" numbers are established,
but I'd certainly want to use the local airport setting for landings.

=20
Where did you hear "area altimeter nn.nn"?

One place I recall specifically was KBCE.