Old November 1st 05, 12:17 AM
Peter Duniho

Default Landing Judges wanted....

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]
I control descent rate with power, so I tend to adjust power as needed.
(pitch for airspeed, power for altitude)

Me too. But I don't generally need to fiddle with the power throughout the
entire approach. I start with a rough guess taking into account the current
weight of the plane along with the reported winds, and then after I've had a
little bit of time to note how well that does, I make any necessary
adjustment to power, so that I wind up at the right spot at the runway.

Depending on how well I'm estimating, I might get it just right the first
time, need only a second adjustment, or I could find myself changing the
power setting four or five times. But even in the worst case, there are
extended periods of time during the approach during which the power setting
stays constant.

Pete