Old November 27th 15, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Is FLARM helpful?

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 4:14:08 PM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
UH,

I should have been clearer, these were contests I was personally flying in.

We had three years in a row at contests where I was flying. Uvalde, Parowan, and then Uvalde again. I was beginning to wonder if this was becoming the norm or I was just really bad luck and should stop going to contests.

I was at all three of those contests that Tim mentions. Listening to the radio traffic was nothing compared to listening to the wail of the wife being informed at Uvalde. I went home straight away on the determination that I would never fly another contest day.

The adoption of PowerFlarm allowed me to change that determination.

Someone here just said that they're tired of listening to people oversell PowerFlarm. I say that's not possible.

I find myself quite irritated when there are still typically one or two folks that will show up at a given contest without a PowerFlarm and that they are permitted to fly.