Old August 26th 03, 11:28 AM
root

Allan Smits wrote:

I've just gotten bitten by the glider bug, but as a right arm amputee, I
am not sure of how to proceed given the challenges of flight control
operation, primarily dealing with simultaneous flight stick and spoilers
on final approach. Are there any other disabled glider pilots out there
with similar challenges that might provide help and advice?

Thanks, Allan

Im my club, there is a glider, an ASK21, equipped for disabled persons, although
not in the same way as yourself, but rather for persons having lost the use
of their legs. However a part of its disposition may apply to your case. In this
glider a lever on the left side, operated by the left arm, is used as a substitute
for the rudder pedals. As the left hand in this way is needed for both rudder and
spoilers, the spoiler lever has notches allowing to be left it in a given position
without further intervention. This last disposition may be useful in your case.
However when you have to move this lever, your left hand will leave the stick free,
so it should be perfectly trimmed before that. This should be possible on an ASK21,
where the trim lever is just on the left side of the stick, so you should be able
to actuate both simultaneously with your left hand, but on all other gliders I have
flown the trim is on a separate lever. Even gliders like the LS-X (1 X 8) or
ASW24 with a kind of trigger on the stick allowing the trim spring to move freely
and lock in the position where the trigger is released don't work really this
way and need an action of the left hand on a left "reminder of position" in order
to obtain a neutral stick in a given position.