Old August 31st 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Reno Newspaper Defends Reporting on Glider Accident

Andrew Warbrick wrote:
At 17:48 31 August 2006,
wrote:

Bob,

With all do respect: internet was not invented by the
US military. Not
even close. Internet was developed by Englishman named
Tim Berners-Lee,
who I believe lives in London. He was even knighted
by the Queen so, he
is Sir Tim Berners-Lee. But this guy Mal is insinuating
that the US
military 'released' the internet and if you buy to
his story I don't
know what to think of it. He is using every time he
can, something
against us. Every time. Don't take my word for it.
Just look at his
in it and then
you can read his uneducated, arrogant postings referring
in derogatory
terms to the US. So, in conclusion his referral to
the US military as
to ' The greatest weapon USA military ever released
to the world the
Internet.' is aimed that us again and it is a cheap
shot.

Sincerely,

Jacek

Jacek,

With all DUE respect. The internet is a direct descendent
of the ARPANET created in the early 1970's by the US
'advanced research projects agency', later the 'defence
advanced research projects agency'.

Tim Berners Lee created the HTML document format (web
page format) and HTTP the transport protocol which
allows selection of files from web servers by URL and
carries the data for those files. Between them this
is what people call the World Wide Web. The Internet
was in existence nearly twenty years before the world
wide web and it was started by the US military. I believe
it was initially extended to US universities.

In summary Mal might have intended it as a 'cheap'
shot. But it was still the truth.

To All,

I received a several emails with a clarification for which I thank you.
I was angry at the Mal character, and still am, and in the moment of
spite I typed something which I remembered from the past without
actually finding some more information about the subject. So, I
apologize for my mistake, but not to Mal for he is taking a cheap shots
in the present as well as in the past.

Sincerely,

Jacek
Washington State