Old May 1st 18, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Wanting to start a new glider club

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 12:39:15 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
JF, have you checked with SSA or AOPA on methods to start a flying club? I am members of both, both have some basic guidelines on setting up your situation.

I think talking to locals/other sites not competing with you are a good start.
SSA and AOPA may have more legal info.

Good luck on your endeavor, hope it works out.

I used to fly at a commercial operation in SE NY, it became a club, thus I have seen some of that side.

I've had a couple of conversations with John, one on behalf of the SSA. I've actually been working on an SSA project for AOPA for their club map. The info they wanted/needed involved some additional digging and visiting many chapter web sites. I own John more info.

Perhaps he and Greg can get a glider and winch on a 'barnstorming' visit to his location to generate interest and as a proof of concept for the location. Might help generate some interest.

Jim Callaway also reached out John. Jim and friends started the Hamilton Soaring Club, which may be a good model for a small community.

Frank Whiteley