Old January 22nd 04, 03:48 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:35:18 -0500, "Mark Astley"
wrote:

I want to buy a used COMM that is working (with all the accesories needed)
It is not going to be mounted i n a plane, it´s only for my home. I´d prefer
a better price than a newer one, so an old COMM could be accepted.

Do you mean a handheld or panel-mount unit? Do you actually need to
transmit or do you just want to hear ATC? Generally speaking, a good used
handheld will be easier to deal with than an old panel-mount. Yes you could
probably pick up an old Narco MK12 on e-bay for $5 but you'll need to track
down an antenna, rig up a power supply, etc.

If it's just for listening, the antenna can be just a bit of wire. Radio
Shack sells a couple of nice little 12V power supplies for running auto
accessories. Any 8-ohm speaker should work. You'll need the pinout for
the radio. You might be able to get by without a rack, if you can solder
wires directly to the radio connector.

I did this with my Narco Escort 110, back when the frequency standards were
tightened and I had to replace it. Just a nice evening's project, unless
you want to build an enclosure so it looks purty.

Mark's right, though, if your sole reason for it is to listen to traffic,
buy a cheap airband radio. Mine was an addition to an collection of old
instruments in my office, so it was just an added fillip to get it running.
Rarely turn it on, unless we have visitors with kids. I live with
line-of-sight to a nearby uncontrolled field, with the downwind traffic
about a quarter-mile away and 500 feet above me.

Got an old Mark IV coffee-grinder I'm half interested in firing up, but now
we're getting into some high voltage....

Ron Wanttaja