Old February 17th 04, 06:14 PM
Steven James Forsberg

: Johnson got a direct commission while a congressman. He was riding in a plane
: that was attacked. His "mission" was bogus, the decorations for it were bogus,
: but the bullets were apparently real.

I wouldn't call the missio "bogus." The aerial missions were very
real, it's just that LBJ volunteered to go along. His being a congresscritter
probably assisted in the process, and he may have done it specifically in
order to fight charges of being 'yellow'. His previous military duties had
been in war production and inspection tours. However, the bullets were ver
real. On the other hand, most agree that Mac was kissing arse when he
handed out that star....
Personally, I think that keeping serving congressfolks out of
uniform is a splendid idea. ISTR that FDR got some flak for making that
decision, but I think it was the right one.

BTW, does anyone know specifically if Nixon was present during a
bombing? Would that get counted as "shot at"? Nixon served on Guadalcanal.
It was right after the pullout of Japanese ground troops, but didn't
Henderson field still get bombed once in a while? He was a supply officer
with the Pacific air forces, but bombs (like rain) fall on all alike....

regards,