Old January 18th 05, 01:05 PM
Jean-Paul Roy

Jim, you are a king. Thanks for posting this kind of inexpensive solution.
I did a complete recovering job on my Challenger last year and really wished
I could have had this system. Even with an ordinary respirator, it's a pain.

Thanks a thousands

Jean-Paul
Qc. Canada
"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
Hello group,
Who here has worked with MEK and other wonderful solvents? Where did
you get your respirator gear from, and what models? The filter ones
available in the chain "hardware" stores have fairly vague
specifications on the labels: usually suitable for aromatics,
solvents, etc. This is not something I wish to leave up to chance.
Do I need to fork over the big bucks on this one and pay for a forced
air system?

Thanks in advance.

You need not pay a ton for a forced air system. I made my own, from stuff

had around the shop, for less than 20 bucks.

I used a respirator, and took off the cartridge on one side, and duct

taped
a 1" PVC elbow onto it, and closed off the other cartridge with duct tape.

I went down to the big box hardware store, and got 50 feet of 1 1/4" bilge
hose (any light plastic pipe will do) and fastened it to a little squirrel
cage blower I rescued from the trash, long ago. A substitute would be a
large size muffin fan (like for computer cooling) enclosed in a small box

so
you could couple the bilge hose on the high pressure side.

Other notes, on this. Don't use compressed air from a regular air
compressor. Make sure the air flow is adequate to keep flowing out of the
exhale valve, even when you are inhaling. With positive pressure, the
leaking duct tape will not be an issue.

I saw something along this line suggested on this group, some time ago.

It
worked very well for me when I sprayed my son's car with urethane enamel.

never smelled the least bit of the paint. I guess Rube would be proud!

Jim in NC