Old December 14th 18, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Van de Velde

Default Igc file help. Computer science

Each dot is a historical thermal. You can click on a dot and get additional details about the pilot, time, altitude gain, thermal strength, etc for that particular thermal. The filters on the right interact with the map so if you zoom in on an area you'll see who flew there from where and when. You can also use those filters to slice and dice the data in many different ways; e.g. all flights from a particular airport at a particular time or month of the year, etc.

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 7:33:18 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Pretty impressive looking!Â* Does each red dot indicate the location of a
thermal or a forecast of the likelihood of a thermal being there (or
thereabouts)?Â* Given the subject of "igc file", I would assume it's post
flight but then I'd have to ask again:Â* exactly what is each red dot?

On 12/13/2018 10:15 PM, Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 10:59:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hey guys im taking a computer science class on data structures and algorithms. I wanna do something glider related for my final project. I was thinking about trying to see if there is a pattern between average vario for a task and Xc speed. However, I have no clue how how to obtain such data from an igc file. Also,any suggestion On maybe doing something different for the project are welcome.

Thanks!

You may want to take a look at the following Python module: https://pypi.org/project/xcsoar/

I've used it to generate this:
https://goo.gl/miiVrq