Old November 6th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default hangar doors

"Tater" wrote in message
oups.com...
just from a non-pilots angle, whats the reason for the hangar doors to
be the way they are? I mean the 2 part folding types. Is there some
advantage to them? why dont we make car garages the same way?

I've seen all sorts of hangar door designs. If you're talking about a door
that has a horizontal hinge half-way up, and which rises vertically on
tracks, folding in half lengthwise as it does so, then a) this design is
simple and allows for maximal use of the space within the hangar (ie doesn't
consume vertical room within the hangar), and b) there *are* car garages
designed the same way (just as there are hangar doors designed in other
ways).