Old September 29th 03, 09:10 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
Kevin Neave k
wrote:

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning about the heavy
glider having the advantage in the 2G case.

In normal flight at high speed we have relatively little
induced drag, and the major component of our total
drag is profile.
With it's higher reserve of energy the heavy glider
gains the benefit 'cos even though the induced drag
is higher it's a small proportion of the total.

If we now start to pull G the induced drag for both
gliders goes up, it now becomes a more significant
proportion of the total for each glider so surely the
advantage of the heavy glider is reduced?

But how hard are you pulling?

Minimum drag (min sink) for the dry glider is probably at around 50
knots, so to get the same AOA at 110 knots you have to pull well over
4G. Min sink for the wet glider might be -- what -- 55 knots? So
you're still talking 4G at 110 knots to get that AOA.

If you're only pulling 2 or 3 G then you'll be above best L/D speed as
well.

The heavy glider still clearly has an advantage.

-- Bruce