Old January 28th 21, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Expat Retirement with soaring?

Fox Sierra wrote on 1/28/2021 12:01 PM:
On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 4:17:53 PM UTC-5, Jeff Bures wrote:
Hi all,

First post here (at least in 20 years).

I'm a US citizen with private power and sailplane ratings. I'm contemplating retirement in a few years. One possible plan is to spend several years of it as an expat somewhere the cost of living is less than the USA. Parts of Europe, Asia, Central or South America are options.

These years should include lots of recreational (not competition) soaring.. I'm curious about different locations with good soaring. I don't want to be the strange American with the weird airplane, but rather live where soaring is known and I could make some friends. Would people make some suggestions please?

I'm also interested in knowing how difficult it is for a visiting pilot to buy, register, and fly a sailplane locally. Are the requirements different if I become a resident? I've read that my USA certificate is valid in many countries if I'm passing through, but as a resident I might need to take additional tests (possibly in the local language). Is this true?

Are there any Expat Pilots out there?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Jeff,

I have flown in Argentina, Namibia, Poland and France.

Among these, I would encourage you to consider Argentina for its low-cost of living in US$ and a very active gliding scene.
The country has wonderful food, warm people, really strong gliding clubs with amenities (swimming pools, tennis courts, camping, etc.), good weather and very good Regional and National gliding championships. Many different locations to fly. Namibia has none of the above, except low cost of living and a relatively short season with European gliders shipped down there each year from November through January. Europe is Europe...what can I say...

Fernando Silva

I know English (American, actually :^) ) and can read a menu in German. Would I be able to
function in Argentina?