Old February 27th 21, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

On 2/27/2021 11:25 AM, wrote:
An uncontained battery failure is as bad as an uncontained engine failure (car, airplane, or glider). Any potentially unstable battery like most Lithium chemistries should be in a safety container that will either contain or exhaust the fire, explosion, or heat. I would feel a lot better if the batteries were in a sealed stainless box with appropriate vents to the outside of vehicle.
Wit HZ

I feel a bit nervous about carrying a "USB power bank" in the glider,
which includes a not-tiny lithium battery of the dangerous type. As for
the yuuuge batteries needed for electrically propelled gliders, I think
I'd wait for safer battery chemistry. LiFePO4 batteries are a lot
safer, and their energy density - and price - are being improved so that
they can compete with other types of lithium batteries. They are
already used in some electric cars.