Old March 9th 21, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 5:27:43 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
The new elephant in the room is the still_to_be_understood ramifications of Covid. For example:

People may retire from soaring rather than make the effort to regain proficiency that they lost from inactivity in 2020.

Students who had their training interrupted in 2020 may have lost all/most of their proficiency. They may not want to start over, and may have found other things to do.

COVID still has the population on edge, especially here in Florida where we were once the epicenter. What we have been able to accomplish in just 3 plus years is impressive, new glider pilots , a place to fly, a great group of people and participation from young and old alike. We have had new members joining and buying gliders, refurbished gliders and we are inviting people from all parts of the country to join is this month to enjoy the soaring of the Treasure Coast. Bob