Old November 3rd 04, 09:23 PM
Rich S.

Default Mechanical tach failure?

So, I was flying back home, happily burping all the shellfish I ate at the
Shelton Oysterfest, when my engine started speeding up. Well, it didn't
really - but my tach said it did. Without touching the throttle, I went from
2400 rpm up to 3400. Funny, my airspeed didn't change.

It looks like my sturdy, simple mechanical tach (bought used at OSH) has
gone South on me. I pulled it out and removed the case. Everything inside
looks great. It is cable driven through a magnetic coupling just like a car
speedo. The needle has a return spring wound in a coil like a clock spring.
I assume the calibration is done by setting the needle on its shaft in a
position relative to the return spring, so a given rpm matches the needle
position on the dial.

I thought I would discover a broken return spring, but it looks okay.
Turning the drive with an 1100 rpm electric drill shows ~2500 on the dial.
If I allow the needle to bypass the stop pin and add an extra full turn of
tension on the return spring, the tach shows the drill turning ~400. It
looks like the needle has slipped on the shaft releasing about a half-turn
of spring tension. Either that or

A. the spring has developed a weak spot or
B. the other end of the spring has come unsoldered from the frame.

I don't think it's "B" because the entire spring would be unwound. Visual
examination of the spring doesn't show any defects.

Any ideas?

Rich "May as well take it apart - it don't work" S.