Old January 2nd 09, 02:26 PM
Jim Wills Jim Wills is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hoffmann View Post
The first thing that jumped out at me from your report is this:

Another myth cited in the AOPA study is "watch your airspeed, or
you're going to stall this airplane!"

Pardon me, but if your airspeed gets below stall speed, you ARE going to
stall. Further, if your airspeed is below the usual 1.3 Vso safety cushion,
you are getting to the point where all it takes is a turn too steep, or a
bit of tailwind, or a yank back on the yoke, and you are LIKELY to stall.
This is not "myth".
snip
I was fortunate enough to have taken Rich's EMT training twice many years ago. "Stall speed" as noted in the POH for your airplane really means "stalling speed at 1G". The wing can stall, or not stall, at any speed down to zero - it depends on the AOA and nothing more. Think about a hammerhead turn: you go vertical, and at the top the wing has a nearly zero speed, but also a nearly zero AOA, so it doesn't "stall" and then nose over to the front.