Old May 31st 20, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

I've done it with an interested, adaptable controller at a not too busy class D.

Communicate. Try to give the controller a chance to work you in. If he's running patterns on the South side of the runway, I wonder if he'd let you come in close on the North side so you are close when he duck in to land. He's not going to be used to sequencing gliders, so you might get some latitude if you can provide a clear safe plan that works with his flow. He may ask, but he's not going to make you try to violate physics ('say unable') if there's a way.

Once he gives you his runway, don't waste time, get down quick, and behind the hold short line. Once I figured out I had put 2 airplanes waiting, I came in at 100knots, landed at the chosen exit after he changed the exit while I was rolling, got out in 20 seconds and cleared the hold short in another 20. Still probably had the runway for 5 minutes which is a long time.

Be sure to say thank you and carry a short tow rope so you can clear the ramp with help.