Old May 31st 20, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 12:47:41 PM UTC-7, Charles Ethridge wrote:
Hi all.

I've done thousands of landings in all kinds of airplanes at tower-controlled airports (now called Class B, C and D), but I've never seen a glider land at one.

Does ATC frown upon this (unless one declares an emergency in which case you have a new problem) or to they take this in stride and accommodate us gliders as an unusual but accepted part of their workday?

Faced with the choice of this or a field, what would insurance say if I broke the glider landing in the field? Might insurance deny my claim since there was a perfectly good tower-controlled airport within gliding distance?

If this is an accepted practice at tower-controlled fields, how do you get the glider off the taxiway? Do they have an FBO come out and tow you off?

Ben

It depends. Another pilot and I landed a N4D at Twin Falls International. They just asked us to back taxi (push) on the active to the taxiway and contact ground. Ground just had us push to the tie downs.