Old September 27th 05, 08:36 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking at major air accidents in the US over the past 5 years I'd say
humans are doing awfully well.

I'm not talking about restricting one's view to "major air accidents". In
any case, if you have actual statistics to refute my intuition, I'm all
ears. Otherwise, your intuitive view is no more compelling than my own (no
less either, granted).

[...]
Look at this for an idea of the state-of-the-art in robot cars. It's
pretty pathetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_DARPA_Grand_Challenge

The DARPA event is a completely different scenario from a general
autopiloted transportation infrastructure. For you to use it as a
comparison is laughable. Instead, try the many successful demonstrations of
computer-driven cars on paved roadways with appropriate guidance technology.

Pete