Old June 8th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

Default Mechanics of Elevator Trim. In Detail.

On Jun 8, 5:08*pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
Hi All,

This post is primarily directed toward student pilots like myself.

First, I am not asking because I want to know the answer (I already
know), but do a little experiment. *I have maybe 7 or 8 different
sources of flight information that I rely on for ground school
(Jeppesen, FAA Handbooks, etc), and none of them said _how_ it worked
in sufficient detail, they only said what one must do to make the
plane pitch up or downard.

So for you students, please do not cheat and do what I did, which is
watch the airfoils move as you move the trim control. *Also, it would
help if you did not think about the correct answer too much, which
would lead you to the correct answer, thereby defeating the purpose of
my experiment.

So, without cheating, and without asking an experienced pilot or
mechanic,...

What exactly happens when the trim is adjusted to point the nose
upward?

Well, since you frame it as a troll:
You scare the lift faries to run forward by waving a very nasty bit of
metal at them.

YAWN
Cheers