Old August 12th 03, 05:36 PM
H.J.

Obviously the grass runway is not considered a 'true' runway to the pilots
who fly off of the intersecting paved runway.

This is understandable, knowing that humans are humans and operate largely
on preconceived notions ('I've never seen anybody use the grass strip,
therefore it is permanently inactive.' etc)

Maybe there should be an "Airplanes Crossing" sign at the intersection of
the paved taxiway, or maybe you shouldn't use the grass runway at all, since
dumb asses abound in this world and you're bound to be cutoff again some
day.

"Dave Russell" wrote in message
om...
So there I am, rolling on 32 (turf), the tail's just come up... when
an Archer blithely rolls right out in front of me on the taxiway for
4. :-|

You can't see much of the taxiway from the departure end of 4 because
of a hangar, and this guy was rolling along pretty good. He was fully
on the runway ahead of me when he saw me, drilled the brakes, and
stopped cold. I put in a pretty interesting swerve (just not enough
room to go over him with the back seat loaded... but I did consider it
for a split second) and managed to roll past with enough clearance not
to terrify me (the swerve had already done that). Thank goodness 32
is wide.

There was nothing I could have done to prevent this. I'd made a
departure radio call, I'd been monitoring the frequency, and I checked
(while taxiing back) to make sure I had the right frequency. This guy
just didn't look or listen.

The wind? About 8-10 knots, 350 or so.

Grass runways are really, truly runways, also. Really.

-Dave Russell
8KCAB