Old May 17th 18, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Dittel Speaker Box

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 8:06:15 AM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
One other comment. The Becker and Dittel boxes seem externally identical but are not interchangeable. The only reason I know this is because I tried once to plug a Dittel hand microphone into a Becker box.

While the 5-pin DIN plugs on the side are wired the same (pin numbering is the same for mic, headphone, PTT) the pin spacing is different. The Becker's pins have a 45 degree spacing while the Dittel's pins have a 60 degree spacing. I believe the Becker's are DIN 41524 while the Dittel's are DIN 45322. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector.

Oh, the minutia that I get myself into sometimes. Must be OCD*!

Thanks, John.

* Actually, it should be CDO. Then it is alphabetical and all is right with the world.

John,

thanks for pointing me to that diagram. I am pretty sure it is a Dittel box.. The mic-plugs are the correct ones. What's happening is that the radio sometimes fails to transmit - only carrier noise is being received by other radios. Changing radios (FSG71M) did not help, so I assume the radio is ok. Went down the wiring harness and it looks ok - nothing kinked or pinched. When I take the box off it's mounting surface, it works again - for a while.
What I am trying to figure out is what the additional cable is for, which got soldered in by a previous owner. It has to be an add-on since whoever did it melted the housing with the soldering iron.
These intermittent bugs drive me nuts!

Uli
'AS'

P.S.: The CDO made my day!! :-)