Old March 11th 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dan[_12_]

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

Ken S. Tucker wrote:
On Mar 10, 4:03 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:56 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

How would lasers mounted on the AWAC affect the dynamic?...
Ken-

Ever been on an AWACS? They are quite full of people watching
terminals, not much room for megawatt laser power supplies.
jsw

Here's a recent report about mobile LASER capability,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4926840
where we'll be in 5-10 years together with better electronics is hard
to say. It's reminds of a B-17 type turreted gunship using LASER
pulses in place of bullets, it's (reportedly) been demo'd.
Ken

Last I heard the lasers in question were chemical lasers which fill
the cargo bay of a 747. I don't think you have a clue how little free
space is AWACS. It's obvious you have never been in one, I have.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired