Old April 24th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IAP without inbound course?

The secret of flying a DME arc is the initial heading you
turn to when at the first fix and then turning to a heading
every 10 degrees of radial change, probably a 20 degree turn
each ten degrees on the arc. You can even stay pretty close
without a DME or GPS by guessing at a wind correction angle.
You can try using VOR cross bearings to set the first turn
fix and then try the first turn 90 degrees from the radial,
with about 5 degrees inside the turn. Then adjust the
heading as you cross each 10 degree radial. When you get to
the inbound course, less 10 degrees, turn to intercept.
Have somebody use a handheld GPS to monitor your distance,
but don't "fly" the GPS, this is a VFR dead reckoning
experiment.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Jose" wrote in message
news | There is only one such IAP in the country (probably the
world). If, however, you mean most pilots don't know how to
fly DME ARC initial approach segments, then their training
is seriously lacking.

| Then count me in. I was never taught the procedure; I
asked here some
| time ago and practiced it on my own. However, my training
is not
| "seriously lacking". The DME arcs were not around much
(DME was not in
| the aircraft either) when I took my training. I've kept
up, but one
| cannot keep up with what one does not know to keep up
with, and some of