Old August 25th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.motorcycles
BryanUT

Default Safety: Planes vs Bikes

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
ups.com...
I fly a small airplane (a Cessna 150) that is well maintained. I fly
over forests in good weather and typically during the day. My biggest
fear is the engine quits over the forest and I have no place to make a
deadstick landing except the tops of large trees.

I drive a moderate motorcycle (a Honda Nighthawk 750) at moderate
speeds through my small town and through the surrounding forests. My
biggest fears are either that I will slide on a patch of dirt on the
road and crash or someone will hit me with their car through
inattention.

I've been asked several times which of these things is more dangerous.
Can anyone provide some statistics on this?

-Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

Sorry, I don't have any stats. But when I started a new job and applied for
life insurance the form specifically asked if I flew in private airplanes,
raced motorcycles and a variety of other "dangerous" activities. I think
scuba diving was on the list also. The application did not ask about street
riding a motorcycle.

That tells me those activities will affect your life insurance premium.
Therefore I deduce that flying is more dangerous than riding.

Bryan