Old March 3rd 05, 07:11 PM
Shin Gou

Default High thrust line on canard design?

I read a while ago in a thread that someone said canard design doesn't
like high thrust line but he didn't elaborate. I like canard design but
I have little aerodynamic konwledge so I am begging an explanation for
this statement.

The only reason I can think of from my layman's view is high thrust
line (say, an engine mounted on a pylon) on a canard airplane will
cause a large nose-down force and this force is specially bad for
canard airplanes which have elevator in the front. Many conventional
airplanes have high thrust line engine installation (like Lake
amphibian) and handle fine. So how more severely and to what extend
does this nose-down force affect canard design than a tail airplane,
not even allow a canard take off at all?

Thank you in advance.

Shin