Old May 1st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Spotting Traffic

T38's are small and hard to see. Clear skies are harder
because there is no background, just bright sky.

Remember, ATC calls traffic in relation to your track, not
heading, so if they say 2 O'clock it can be anywhere to your
right front.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"john smith" wrote in message
| How often do you spot traffic without guidance from ATC
when you are out
| flying"
|
| How often do you spot traffic called out to you by ATC?
|
| On a recent trip, while flying a PA32-300, I never saw
traffic that ATC
| called out to me that passed within two miles and 1000
feet vertical
| separation. This was a flight of two T-38's.
|
| On my last trip in a C182S with Garmin330 transponder and
MX-20 display,
| I watch as the display showed traffic passing 1500 feet
directly
| overhead, but never was able to eyeball the traffic.
Earlier in the