Old September 1st 10, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Glider Batteries and Chargers

On Aug 24, 6:49*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Aug 24, 7:03*am, Grider Pirate wrote:

VSLA? A123? Cycling chargers?? *I think this subject should have it's
own thread. *Unlike transponders, we almost all need them.

Some comments below, in general and picking up a few things in other
posts/threads and reposting some things I've said elsewhere recently.

Most "smart" chargers are really pretty dumb ...clip...

I would add to this informative long post that desulfating chargers
are very helpful in extending the life of, and restoring, lead-acid
batteries. (Google "battery desulfation" or read
http://www.chargingchargers.com/tuto...sulfation.html as
an example)

Schumacher makes 2 desulfating chargers, available in auto stores or
via Internet for about $75. I use their model WM-6000A on my stored
automobiles, and have used it to quickly resuscitate my 12-v gel-cell
glider batteries, as well as to restore 2 batteries to usable
condition this summer after leaving the master on in the trailer for a
week. (They were all but shorted out.)

VDC Electronics seems to have the broadest line of desulfating
chargers. ( http://www.batteryminders.com ) I use their Concorde-
specific charger with my Mooney, which is designed for that battery
and is temperature compensated.

Their desulfating BatteryMinder Plus model 12117 can be had on the web
for about $45 plus shipping, and will maintain up to 5 batteries. A
summary of their non-aviation-specific chargers is in pdf format at
http://www.rvupgrades.info/batterymindermanual.pdf

They also make a solar desulfating charger available with either a 5-
watt or 15-watt panel My glider has 2 electrical systems, and I
mounted 2 15-watt desulfating chargers on the trailer roof, which is
very nice. I only wish they would work by moonlight.