Old September 23rd 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default Mechanical Vario

Jeff Runciman wrote:
This question was posted earlier but I was hoping for
a few more responses.

Do I put a mechanical vario or do I save space on the
panel.

Would love to hear what people have in their panel.

What's already on your panel?

I have an SDI C4 with a Borgelt B.40 as backup (it has a 9v battery as
emergency power). I initially had a PZL mechanical as backup, but Mike
Borgelt recommends that you don't mix capacity (flow rate) instruments
with pressure sensing instruments on the same TE probe. The full story
is he

http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/in...stallation.pdf

on page 3 under "Pneumatic". Consequently I's just decided to swap the
PZL for a pressure sensing instrument when a used B.40 became available.
I'm very pleased with it. Its easy to read, has a fast response, and
complements the C4 very nicely. The B.40 is excellent for finding lift
while the C4 is very good for centering up thermals and for
inter-thermal cruise.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK