Old August 8th 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

Default What are you really trying to accomplish

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:08:26 -0500, "Don Pyeatt"
wrote:

"Just Plane Noise" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:35:55 -0500, "Don Pyeatt"
wrote:

snip

I see Don is repeating that same nonsense implying force.

And I see that anything that anyone other than yourself says is always
nonsense.

OK, I'll bite. Tell me how force was involved.

I never
insisted on anything.

Smug re-invented and expanded ! For starters, you insisted that the
established guidelines of this group are null and void. Then you insisted
that you will post any way you choose and those who can't read your posts
can upgrade to your standards or leave.

Well, that's two big lies in one paragraph. I never said the
guidelines were null and void. I would note, however, that guidelines
aren't rules, and that in any case thet were agreed to a couple of
years ago, which is quite long ago for a Usenet group The more
egregious lie is that I told people they could upgrade or leave. I
challenge you to produce the post in which I said anything even
remotely like "leave." I did say it was their choice to view my
pictures or not. I have never in any way, shape, or form told anyone
to leave. You ought to apologize.

Yes, you need yEnc decoding to see my pictures,

Because you insist.

but you also need a newsreader, and a computer. So even if I didn't
use yEnc, I'd be leaving behind those who lacked that hardware and
software.

In addition to those who don't want to use yEnc.

I see you missed the point altogether.

Perhaps I should just print my pictures and snailmail them
out to all! Otherwise I'm "forcing" them to either buy a computer or
be "left behind."

This is a great idea! Should we send you our mailing addresses?

Yes, along with an SSAE and a nominal handling fee of $5 per 8X10.

The notion of "struggle" is also phony.

As is any other opinion that is not in lockstep with yours.

Boiy, people can't disagree with you, can they! I guess I ought to
bow to the anti-yEnc police!

Downloading Agent and
clicking "install" is hardly a struggle.

For most, this is true.

"Struggle" is what I did
this morning after I installed a different firewall and found that I
could not get Windows to load--that took some computer experience,
time, and liberal use of profanity directed at Zone Alarm, Webroot,
and Microsoft.

Then perhaps you can appreciate those who struggle with lesser issues?

Sure, but if you WANT something bad enough, the struggle is worth it.
Your attitude is fundamentally opposed to the American achievement
orientation. As I've pointed out before, though, it certainly is
characteristic of what we have become--a society of people who believe
they are entitled to things without effort.

There's no struggle in getting yEnc decoding at
all--at least not the way I did it.

Congratulations!

As I've pointed out before, I
knew very little about yEnc until the brouhaha on this group,

Be honest - you brought the brouhaha to the group!

I most certainly did not. As I've noted, I was totally unaware of the
yEnc controversy in the group since prior to this episode, I only
downloaded images from this group (I didn't even read accompanying
text). I posted some images quite innocently, but instead of some
comment like "hey, nice images" I got Maple 1's snide comment. Gosh,
what a nice welcome! Well, I may have I shot back when some took
shots at me, but I hardly started the fight. However, once people
decided they wanted to fight this whole issue all over again
apparently, I didn't back away.

I still think that if anti-yEnc'ers had had the decency to inform me
of theirr preference in a nice way, I would have honored it. But
people who behave like assholes only deserve a "screw you!"

and you
don't need to understand it one bit to use it

And you don't need a college degree to turn it off.

Sorry, but PowerPost can only post in yEnc. Or are you suggesting I
download and install some other batch posting program--something you'd
never suggest to your anti-yEnc friends?

--in fact, it is no more
complicated than the UU encoding one person erroneously referred to as
"basic."

Of course that person's thoughts are erroneous.

Yep. UU is older, not more basic. Try reading a technical
description of how both work--one is not more complicated than the
other.

About the only thing that can be said for sticking with UU encoding
only is that it was the way things had always been done. I am totally
impatient with that attitude, and I expect that I always will be no
matter how old I live to be. I like new things, I like progress.

Can you really believe that this entire group should adapt to your
impatience and attitudes?

Absolutely not! Stop putting words in my mouth! You can all do what
you damn well please, and so will I. I am posting aviation pictures
in alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, the only such newsgroup devoted to
such pictures. Nobody has to change their behavior or attitude one
bit. As I've said several times, you can download my pictures and
view them or not.

The notion of "choice" seems oddly foreign to some people in this
group. They have somehow gotten it in their heads that if things
aren't handed to them on a platter, they didn't have a choice.

And the idea that such attitudes are the exception in older folks is
just flat-out ageism. Don's claim would provoke laughter at our local
senior center (which is fully computer-equipped).

Gee, the senior centers here are fully equipped with giant checkers and
dominoes. Where are these centers? Are they LAN wired in each room or are
they wi-fi equipped?

Don't know about the last (which is irrelevant to the issue anyway),
but you can drop in at the Oshkosh Senior Center and check it out. I
would have a hard time believing that a cow town like Oshkosh somehow
had a more technologically advanced senior center than other places.

I'm giving Don the "straw man creation" prize.

Thanks but I don't believe you are sanctioned to award prizes.

Sure I am, so long as I made it up and paid for it.

I would
offer you one but it appears you are your own best prize.

Noise, why don't you just join this group on its own terms and try to enjoy
the camaraderie? Who knows, you may make some valuable friends, including
myself. I just refuse to stand and salute when you enter the room.

First, there is no "group"--that's an Internet illusion. At best it
is an assemblage of people with exactly one shared interest, who don't
even interact on a face-to-face basis. That hardly meets the
sociological criteria for a group. Second, there's no "its own
terms"-- if you go over all of the posts on this issue in the past two
weeks, you'll find the anti-yEnc posters don't even outnumber those
who are fine with yEnc. Third, camaraderie is nice, but I'm here for
airplane pictures. If there wasn't camaraderie, I'd stay anyway; if
there weren't airplane pictures, I'd be gone. Finally, I'm stunned
that you would claim you would make a "valuable friend." Sorry, I
don't need anyone with that much of an inflated ego that they actually
tell others they'd be valuable.

I wonder if you even see the contradiction in your last paragraph. You
invite me to join a "group" on "its own terms", but turn right around
and suggest I'm demanding you "stand and salute." Are you blind, Don?
You just asked ME to stand and salute a group whose composition is
uncertain and whose attitudes are at best mixed, yet you imply that
I;m asking others to stand and salute. Again, I most certainly am
not. I'm posting pictures--pictures which have gotten UNANIMOUS
positive comment from those whove seen them. I am not praising my own
pictures here. All I'm saying is that I'm posting aviation pictures,
people are finding them to be at least good enough to view, and I
don't think you can ask any more of me in an aviation pictures group.
I will not kiss your ass or anyone else's, and I dont submit to
"group" tyranny.