Old June 22nd 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.marketplace,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Victor Bravo

Default Aeronca 11AC Chief Project FS

On Jun 21, 8:59 am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Wow, there's a hell of a deal. "Welding done" implies that the fuselage was
severely tweaked, and busted up so bad it needs an engine, struts and
"possibly" spars. Not a hell of a lot of paperwork. Sounds like it was
"groundlooped" into a bridge abutment.

I'll bet you've got 'em standing in line for this one, eh Berle?

Jim

You really are a putz, Mr. Weir.

The airplane was groundlooped without any bridge abutments nearby.
Most any groundloop will do some damage to a steel tube fuselage. If
you had been around old airplanes to any degree you would already know
that. You'd also know that the damage from a groundloop RANGES from
"severely tweaked" to just a few tubes bent around the gear mounting.
This one's not severley tweaked.

The struts were bent. One or two may be usable, I'll see when I get
them. I figured that I would just position it as needing struts to be
conservative. An idiot or a dishonest person would not mention bent
struts in a for sale listing, and an honest person would mention it.

The engine was removed for use on another airplane.You do know that
engines get removed and reinstalled occasionally, don't you?

The spars are probably save-able but will need some repairs. An honest
person reports this. You know, minor spar damage happens when you drag
a wingtip in a groundloop.

If you had been around old airplanes for a while, you know that the
majority of them have less then perfect paperwork. An honest guy
reports this up front. There is an airworthiness certificate, a clean
bill of sale, and some paperwork, but not all logs and papers.

As far as a hell of a deal, if you didn't already know it the 11AC
Chief meets the LAS rules at the same time as being a classic, at the
same time as being a certified aircraft, at the same time as being a
very economical aircraft to operate. The new cookie-cutter plastic
LSA's go for $80K to 150K. A good rebuilt Chief goes for $25-30K, uses
LESS fuel and has LESS engine troubles than the Rotax powered euro
LSA's.

At anything less than six or seven thousand, for a fairly easy to fix
one, the Chief is a very reasonably priced project.

Have a look at the Zenair 601XL, where an airframe KIT costs you $20K.
Now look at the unfortunate and tragic problems the 601 is having with
the wings folding in flight, and compare it to an airplane with a 60
year safety record, full commercial FAA certification, and tell me
that this is not a reasonable bargain.

Before I insulted any of your statements or products for sale with
regard to aviation electronics, I'd have made sure I had my facts
straight.

If you want to challenge me to a duel with words, I think you'd better
bring some more class, brains, and aviation experience to the game.
This is not a debate about Ohm's Law, you might be out of your depth.

Bill Berle