Old April 8th 04, 06:24 PM
Tony Cox

"RD" wrote in message

How many of you have memorized all the emergency procedures. The only one

really know is the engine failure procedure. I have to admit, if any other
emergency was to develop I think I'm unprepared and it's time I do some
re-familiarization of procedures.

I have engine failure and fire on my checklist. I've memorized them,
and review them prior to each flight (really). Is that what you mean
by 'all'? They're the only ones mentioned in the POH.

I constantly review what I'd do in various circumstances, sometimes
to the point of obsession. It's probably not healthy, but that's me. I
like to think I'd know what to do if I lost a control surface, had one
stick on me, had a passenger get seriously ill, became partially
incapacitated myself, hit a large bird, got shot at, and just about
everything else a paranoid mind can conceive.

On a side note, I'm a bit confused about a partial engine failure. Say the
engine loses a valve and runs VERY rough. Should I continue flying with

that
engine in hopes of making a runway, or shut the engine down to prevent it
from ripping itself off the airplane and turning me into a large paper
weight.

Depends, doesn't it? I've never lost a valve, so I've no idea how rough
is rough. If the shaking made me very nervous, I'd shut down. If the
engine was just rough because of a missing cylinder and the shaking
minimal, I'd climb at Vy in anticipation of a full failure. If I was over
a dry lake bed or other clear area, I'd shut the engine off anyway
and land ASAP. Saving the plane from damage isn't a consideration.