Old August 26th 18, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default How high does your club tow?

On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 7:15:26 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Our Club is reworking towing height fees. We are based south of Denver (elevation 7,000' msl). Normal tow heights are to about 9,000-10,000' msl. We have new members who now are asking for tows to 14,000' msl. This is causing up to 45-minute waits for the next tow. Normally, we get about four or five tows per hours, but a high altitude tow drops us to two tows per hour.

How high does your club allow for tows?

Raul Boerner

My chapter is at 5500MSL. Tow rates are $11 hookup + $1.30/100ft up to 9000MSL. Above that for wave or high tows or retrieves $180/tach hour with a $68/minimum.

Perhaps a method of pricing that makes such tows unattractive and revenue positive if accommodated?

Is the desire for high tows to tow away from the approach zones with a margin to still be with glide range of the base?

In my observation, this is why CAP o-rides don't mix well with normal club operations in several cases. The syllabus drives tows to 2500-3000ft agl when club member pilots are getting off at 900-1500ft agl.

Frank Whiteley