Old December 13th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Stretching the Final Glide

On Dec 12, 10:17*am, glidergeek wrote:
On Dec 10, 10:56*am, vontresc wrote:

A freind of mine sent me this youtube vid today. The pilot hets a wee
bit low during his final glide.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZxvYMC2QvI

Enjoy

Pete

Looks like alot of landing options and speed to gain altitude if
needed. Wish the camera was on his instruments at the same time.

I must be missing something, I don't see the nice fields to land in.
I would expect a ground loop in every field he crossed. The one to
the right of the river is the only one that looks reasonable for the
entire glide.

That said, I have had one final glide like this at the 2006 US
Nationals that was close to this with a forced deviation around power
lines and a hanger to land at 8 pm. The fields under me were better
and I hope to not do that again.