Old June 19th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default NTSB report - ILS and ATC. How does it all come together?

I don't understand your calculation. At 2.5 miles from the touch-down
zone (assuming that's what it is), the GS should be about 750 feet
above the touch-down zone elevation. The pilot was way below the
glideslope.

(Simple and quick approximate calcuation method: 2.5mi = 15000 feet.
The 3 degree ILS is approximately 1:20 approach ratio. So 15000 / 20 =
750 ft).

Montblack wrote:

(Overall, are my numbers right? How does someone on an ILS "end up" at 150
ft (AGL) 2.5 miles from the threshold? When does the "Low Altitude Alert"
buzzer alert ATC? In 20 seconds the plane is going to lose 75 ft of altitude
with a 3° glide slope @ 75 knots. That's 9 seconds for the power outageand
11 seconds to reorientate themselves in the tower. Remember, the Low
Altitude Warning came BEFORE the power outage.)

I'm not considering the altimetor setting in the plane - I'm mostly looking
at it from the ATC side of things. How's this all work?)

Montblack