Old May 17th 16, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Cripps

Default Need to move a glider from Chicago to Los Angeles

I made a trip last week along the lines of Tom's suggestion, towing a sailing boat of quite similar weight and length to my glider trailer from Charlotte to Lake Dillon, CO (sailing at 9,017 MSL!).

Tony understandably didn't want to take on a boat; multiple quotes from iShip all came in within a few dollars of each other (~$1,950 for 1,650 miles. But anyway I needed to be present at both the pickup and drop off, so I opted to fly to Charlotte, pick up a U-Haul 10' moving truck and tow it myself.

The U-Haul 10' moving truck was the only one-way rental I could find that permitted towing. Not even the U-Haul GM trucks (local only), nothing from Penske or the major car-hire companies. But it worked out well and I would do it again rather than drive both ways.

48