Old August 8th 17, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Near encounter with airliner detected on PowerFlarm

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 7:11:46 PM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:

I'm thinking one message here is that we all need ADS-B out so that we are front and center visible in every cockpit going forward. As I understand it, we're at the cusp of having glider reasonable hardware options for ADS-B out. I'm thinking that round about 2020, nearly nobody with an engine will bother to look out the window anymore. We'd all better be in the system; if we're not, we're going to be more vulnerable than we have been.

I've been told that TCAS will remain the primary (possibly the only) system that generates collision warnings in aircraft that are required to carry TCAS and that ADS-B will be used only for traffic display, not independent collision warnings. Can anyone confirm whether that is the case?

9B